Thursday, March 15, 2012

Happiness is ...


... a day when every song that comes on the radio feels like the perfect song.

... weather that turns out even better than the forecast.

... children who beg to stay outside and play just a little bit longer.

... the kind of sleep that comes after soaking up the sun all afternoon.

... leaving windows open all night to hear the peepers and feel the cool air.

... a good cup of coffee in the morning.

... an unexpected phone call from my hubby.

... the promise of more good days ahead.

Yesterday was one of those days I absolutely savor. I love, love, love the sound of all those tiny frogs in the marshy areas surrounding our house, chirping their welcome to spring. It's one of my favorite sounds, and since I know it will only last a handful of days I am always sure to take the time to listen and enjoy.

Happiness is having the time.

Happiness is also looking forward to having more time as a family.

Once again, Steve is going to be moving from his current job to a position with another company. The new gig will be closer to home and will provide a little plumper paycheck. Less distance, more money. No arguments from me.

Though if I'm honest with myself I have to acknowledge that little twinge of concern that is ever-present in my heart. The "what-ifs" of change. What if it doesn't work out? What if this wasn't the best choice? But as the years go by and I see over and over again that it always. works. out. the what-ifs become less and less of a factor for me. In fact, this time I surprised myself a little. When this latest opportunity came up I was nothing but excited. Probably mostly because it would reduce the distance between us from a 12-hour drive to a 4- or 5-hour drive within our home state. Five hours is a cakewalk for this family.

Like any other trade out there, pipeliners have all kinds of "you know you're a pipeliner if ..." jokes. Well, the wives and girlfriends of pipeliners have their own set of jokes, and most of them have to do with packing up everything important and being ready to hit the road faster than he can say "I got the call, baby. We're moving." That usually means packing up the RV, and we know several families who have sold their homes and truly live the nomadic lifestyle. We won't sell our house. Steve and I both need a home base, a place to retreat to when things get crazy. So we have two homes, more or less: one on wheels and one with roots.

Even though we don't travel with Steve (so I'm not packing our whole life into an RV in a very short amount of time), the sentiment of always be ready for change is the same. So I add a bullet point to his résumé, I direct phone calls and pass along messages, I pray for a smooth transition and safe travels. I plan my days so that once he's home from the current job I can help him get done everything he needs to get done so he can turn around and get back on the road. It's a routine we know all too well.

Summer is just around the corner. Change is in the air. It's all good. Life is good.

I'm happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment