Monday, October 3, 2011

The Incredible (Dis)Appearing Bullfrog*.


So I was sitting pretzel-legs on the ground at the edge of my flower bed, enjoying the sunshine and pulling tender little weeds out, when out from under one of the plants crawls Billy The Bullfrog.

Actually, it was more like sproing!, hop, plop, "fe-fi-fo-fum, who the heck has disturbed me?"

I? Squealed like a little girl and flung myself into a backwards crab crawl.

I didn't hang out to see what it was, I just knew there was something moving in a space where nothing was supposed to be moving.

Well. Upon realizing what had startled me, I had a good laugh. I laughed and laughed and laughed. Rachel came rushing over. (OK, rushing might be an overstatement.) I was laughing so hard I could only point to the creature that had come from the depths to reign terror over my flower beds.

We were making such a ruckus my future-sister-in-law came over from next door to see what was the matter. Frogs don't really bother me, but I have a feeling I'm never going to live this one down.

Look at this guy! He's got muscles!


Now check this out ...

Every time the Mighty Amphibian found some cover he'd burrow himself right down into it until he disappeared.


Kinda' neat to watch.


Oh, the things we learn when we hang out in the garden.
Fun!

* Out of curiosity, I looked up frogs and toads on the Michigan DNR web site. I learned Billy is probably a toad - rather than a frog - because of his bumpy, "warty" skin. Sightings of Bullfrogs have been recorded in our area of the state, though, so I'll keep my eyes peeled. Interesting factoid: true Bullfrogs can be up to eight inches long and will sometimes eat small birds. Yikes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment