Tuesday, January 12, 2010

When life throws a curveball ...

Here is today's installment of "Why It's Good To Have Relatives Living Next Door". Enjoy.

The morning got off to a great start. Kids got out of bed after only one request to do so. Lunches were mostly packed last night so all I had to do was make sandwiches. I made an executive decision that I would not cook anything for breakfast, so the choices were toast, Raisin Bran, or whatever you want to cook yourself. Everyone was fine with that. Joy!

Five minutes before we were to leave I took the dog outside. She goes potty, I go to start the truck.

And? Flat tire.

Not low tire. Not you-might-want-to-get-that-looked-at tire. We're talking flat-as-a-pancake tire.

I hurried back in the house and called my in-laws next door. Nobody answered. I told the kids to hurry up and get their boots on because we needed to hoof it to the bus stop. I started looking for a flashlight and debating whether we could actually make it. It's not far, but far enough that I didn't want to do it in those conditions: in the cold, in the dark, and in my pajamas. Can you imagine someone driving to work and seeing me walking back down the road alone, in the dark, in my pajamas? Oh, and wearing a black coat? Yeah.

Fortunately the in-laws called back after hearing my voice on the answering machine. Brother-in-law rushed over with a car so I could drive the kids to the bus stop. We got there with a few minutes to spare.

Crisis averted.

At some point today I guess we'll have to take a look at that tire. Right now I need coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment