Tuesday, May 8, 2012

GOOD mornings! Or better mornings, at least.

I am so proud of myself. I've been waking up around 5:35 and getting out of bed by 6 most mornings lately. This is a big deal for me.

Could it be I am actually reprogramming my body ... or brain? Or whatever it is that has caused me to dread getting out of bed every morning for 35 years?

I don't know. I do know I have not been able to stop the morning bickering between the two kids, but I don't feel my blood boiling every time they start up. I know I at least have a handle on what is available for breakfast - if I haven't already made something - by the time they get out of bed and ask me. I know I have surprised myself by emptying the dishwasher or throwing in a load of laundry while the house is still quiet ... and that's new, too. Everything seems to run a little smoother when I have a minute to take a breath before the day really begins.

It sounds like I'm growing up, doesn't it?

Oh, it would be a stretch to say I am becoming a morning person. I wouldn't go quite that far yet. I love my sleep. It still pisses me off when Patch the Kitty decides he needs (NEEDS!!) to go outside or is hungry (HUNGRY, MAMA!!!) at 4 a.m. He's a persistent little sucker. The bane of my existence, that one. But I will admit there are times he pushes his forehead into my shoulder, purring loudly, and I decide I might as well just get up. It might be earlier than I had planned, but I'm rarely sorry.

From 6 to 7 it's a whirlwind hour, then the kids are gone to school and all is quiet again. I look forward to summer when we can ditch the whirlwind hour ... but it will be interesting to see how my mornings change otherwise. I don't see myself getting up at 5:30 during summer vacation. But then again, since the kids will be here all day it might be the only time I get to myself. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment