Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Garden love.

Hello! Happy Post-Holiday Hump Day!

Not a lot of news to report here from the Pipe Lifers. No major life events, no major changes. Which is kind of nice. We're rollin' along, just enjoying the summer. The weather's been beautiful here lately and we have no commitments. I'm totally diggin' it.

In fact, as I write I'm sitting outside on the deck listening to the birds, enjoying the late-afternoon shade and cool breeze, and sipping a Diet Dr. Pepper.

Life just doesn't get much better than this.

We had a wonderful holiday weekend with Steve home. Lots of time with family and friends, including a trip up north to my uncle's house on a gorgeous, crystal-clear lake where we chilled all day, ate massive amounts of food (well, some of us did), watched the kids young and old jump off the end of the dock, and caught up with the extended family we don't see often enough. And who can forget one of the big highlights of the day: homemade ice cream. One helping just isn't enough.

The remainder of the weekend we hung out at home, washing laundry and doing yard work like "normal" families do. Heh. Then we celebrated Independence Day with more food, more good times, and a few fireworks at our annual neighborhood 4th of July party. Steve made the drive back to WV on Tuesday and is back to work today.

It was a longer weekend than he usually gets to be here, but it's never long enough.

Me? I'm doing lots of gardening. If there's no weeding or watering to be done I'm plotting the next perennial garden, checking my vegetable plants for buds, or just sitting and taking it all in.

I walk around the yard probably once a day just to see how things have changed. Mostly it looks pretty good (if I do say so myself) but I do have a few plants that are looking pretty run-down; I'm not sure if they've had too much or too little water or there's something else wrong, but I'm going to give them just a little more time. I think one of the coolest things about gardening - next to having a beautiful one - is bringing something back from the brink of death.

Here's a look at some of what I've got going on ...

Two raised beds for veggies. The front one (where Rachel is showing off her cabbage plant) has been growing for a few weeks. The other one I just finished putting together over the weekend.

 Grape tomatoes! We also have Lemon Boy, Yellow Pear, Romas, and Better Boy varieties planted.

 Cucumber plants flowering. We're also growing green peppers, zucchini, jalapenos, Brussels sprouts, green beans and a few herbs.

 Bellflowers thriving in the mostly shaded area next to the storage shed. I love these!

My Fuschia plant is about to burst! The last few years I've been hanging a Fuschia on one side of a double shepherd's hook and my hummingbird feeder on the other side. The hummingbirds love it and they're very entertaining to watch.

Potted zinnias on the patio table ... my little oasis.

I'll post more pictures of my perennials another day. Right now they're getting a shower, so they're not looking their best.

I've got a lot going on in the yard and I'm really enjoying keeping up with it. The added bonus is it keeps me occupied while Steve is gone.

So the kids might be saying "I'm boooooored" a hundred times a day, but you won't hear it from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment