Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Devotions.

I have a small book of daily devotions that I picked up at church. Each day it offers a Bible verse for the day, an anecdote or explanation from one of several pastors chosen to write in each edition, a short prayer, and a couple of other supporting verses to look up. I like this format. It's not too much for me to absorb while I drink a cup of coffee to wake up in the morning, or after I fall into bed late at night after a busy day. And it helps me work my way through the Bible piece by piece, in small bites, rather than trying to plow through it from cover to cover - something I've tried and failed more than once.

I get something out of these readings every day. (Every day I remember to read them, that is.) Sometimes they make me think; sometimes they cause me to explore something within myself a little further. Yesterday's was particularly helpful in reminding me that everything will be just fine. Even in the midst of a job layoff, we are OK. And I knew this. I knew we would be provided for and for the first time ever I was not at all worried when Steve called to tell me he was coming home.

But there is that tiny little voice in the back of my head that wants me to worry. That voice keeps telling me how tough life could get if this lasts longer than expected. If that voice had its way I wouldn't enjoy this time with Steve at all because I would spend all my time fretting over what isn't happening and what we can't do.

As always, in perfect timing I was reminded of the truth. Monday's devotion was all about walking in faith and trusting that what God promises us will come to fruition. Life will be good. We will live in graciousness and abundance.
Psalm 128:2
You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands; you shall be happy, and it shall go well with you.
Just what I needed to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment