Wednesday, January 9, 2013

These are not the winters of my youth.


Rachel and Sam made a snowman when we got our first decent packing snow just before Christmas. Since then we haven't had much more snow to speak of.

Poor mister snowman got knocked over around the New Year and has been melting on the patio, little by little, ever since. I don't think he has much time left.

Today, just over a week into January, we are experiencing temperatures in the upper 30's (at the moment, and it's only 10:30), and the sun is shining brightly. I have a couple windows open to air this place out. The weatherman says we have a couple more days of this and then it's going to be colder again. I'm OK either way. As an adult who does not regularly participate in any winter sports I actually appreciate a mild winter when I can get outside and walk or just play with the dogs without having 16 layers of clothes on. But I do wish my kids could experience the kind of winters we had when I was their age. If I'm going to stay here in Michigan December through February, is it too much to ask for a good foot of snow? Sure it makes it a little harder to get around at first, but we manage. And it sure is pretty.

Ah well. Today I'll take the sunshine and the sound of whatever's melting from the roof dripping into the gutters. It's never too early to start planning next summer's garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment