Thursday, December 22, 2011

Quiet time.


It is rare for me to be awake before everyone else. And in this house there is really nowhere to go that I don't run the risk of disturbing others' slumber, so I tiptoe around, sort some laundry, feed the cats, and pray I get just a few more minutes of the peace I so enjoy.

I am more of a night owl than an early riser, but I do so appreciate these mornings when I wake earlier than usual, and with a sense of purpose. A friend said the other day, "God woke me up early to spend some time with Him." That's how I feel this morning.

Often around this time of year - despite my promises to myself that I won't - I get a bit frazzled and caught up in the busy-ness of the holiday, and while I never forget the reason we are celebrating, I do sometimes lose my focus for a bit. It's never long before I hear that voice in my head telling me to still myself, calm down, take a breather. So I do just that in the early morning hours: I steady myself. I sit in the dark and stare at the glow of the lights on the Christmas tree. I count my blessings and give thanks. Or sometimes I just sit. And do nothing. Which is harder than it sounds.

I hope that in these last few days leading up to Christmas you are able to take some quiet time, too. Reflect on the gifts God has given you. Give thanks for your family, friends, home, health, job ... whatever is meaningful to you. And move about your day with a sense of peace.


Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment